sudden craving for beef… hence the perfect chance to try out this recipe, and also to finish up the remaining glass of red wine in the fridge :)
Adapted from: Noob Cook
Ingredients: (Serves 2)
200g stew beef cubes (chunks)
100g white radish
1 carrot, peeled and cut to chunks
1 cup beef broth (or 1 cups hot water mixed with 1 knorr beef cube)
1 glass red wine
250g packet portebello mushrooms, quartered
1tsp dried mixed herbs
1/2tsp black pepper
1 large yellow onion, diced
4 garlic cloves, minced
some olive oil
1-2tbsp plain flour
1. Season the beef cubes with a bit of sea salt and black pepper. Grease casserole with a thin layer of olive oil. When the oil is heated, add beef cubes one at a time (you will hear a gentle sizzle and see slight smoking) to form one layer on the pan. Do not overcrowd the meat. Let the cubes brown on one side, then flip over with kitchen tongs and brown on the other side. Take out browned meat and set aside. Add more oil to the casserole if needed and repeat till all the beef cubes are browned. Do not discard the brown bits or juices collected in the casserole. (browning meats is an important step when making stews and doing so adds a lot of flavour to the stew.)
2. Add a bit more olive oil to the casserole. Then add minced garlic and onions, stir fry on medium low heat (about 3 -5 minutes) till fragrant. You will see them turning brown from soaking the juices left in the casserole.
3. Pour a glass of red wine in and saute the onions till the alcohol has evaporated and you smell the nice aroma of the wine.
4. Stir in plain flour and cook for one minute more to thicken the mixture.
5. Add beef stock and when it comes to a simmer, add carrots, radish, mushrooms and allow the stew to simmer on low heat for 1.5hrs-2hrs.